Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Andersonville


A photography expedition. An adventure in the hot June sun exploring, laughing and enjoying the beautiful day and land that God blessed us with. This is what one of my best friend's Kristin and I had planned when we set out early Saturday morning with no real destination or agenda. We didn't know where we were headed or what to expect but the one thing we did know was, that we wanted to take pictures. Lots of pictures.

Drawing a circle around Columbus, GA, our home-base, we discussed our options and Andersonville was at the top of the list. History. War. A graveyard (I was just itching to photograph and explore the graveyard!). What more could you ask for? What we didn't expect was the humbling affect this place would have, nor the sense of tranquility and dare I say peace that seemed to wash over us as we shutter-bugged our way around the property.

For those of you who may not be familiar with Civil War, history, or Georgia (gasp! how dare you!) I dug the pamphlet out of my laptop bag (it's an end all for all pamphlets, ticket stubs and pieces of information I collect on my photography adventures) and worked you up a quick fact sheet. Questions? I'm sure I can consult my stash of history notes so ask away!


No comments: